To see more pics of this dress and the 'before' visit Grosgrain:
Around New Year's I had been seeing many party dresses with tulle on the outside of the skirt rather than underneath and wanted to recreate something like that.
When I looked through the Salvation Army racks I searched for a dress with a little glamour in the fabric, something the said "party". I came across the dress (at bottom).
The material was a shimmery silver but the cut of the dress was hideous. Perfect for refashioning. It was a matronly faux two piece with no form except for the two spaghetti straps on the sides which pulled the waist to fit the person wearing it.
I bought it for $1.50 and took it home to think it over. I definitely wanted to try and go for the topside tulle look. So I went to the fabric store and bought 3 yards of gray tulle for only 30 cents a yard. What I loved about the tulle I bought was that I didn't even need to cut it. The length and width were already the perfect size I needed. All I need to do was gather it.
I laid the dress on floor and stared at it for some time. The skirt was so straight that it was very difficult to get an a-line out of it despite the fact that it was quite large.
I cut the top piece away from the bottom and then cut the bottom into two side-by-side triangles that made a rectangle using as much of the skirt material as possible.
I then pinned the pieces to my dress form but still came up a little short of an a-line on either side. So I cut out two more smaller triangles from my leftover skirt and filled in the gaps to make a perfect a-line.
I then sewed the gathered tulle to the skirt and the combination of those two pieces to the waistband. I had to take the top in on the sides. After I did that I sewed the top of the waistband to the bodice.
Finally I cut a ballerina neckline into the top and hemmed the skirt and sewed in a zipper. VOILA! A new dress!! Chan looks ready for a New Year's Eve Soiree.
I really liked how the tulle filled out the look of the skirt. I wanted a full a-line. The skirt underneath was not quite as full as I would have liked but with the overlaying tulle the look was exactly what I was going for.
All together I spent $2.50 on this dress. Not bad.